4.08.2009

cheese!


I finally got around to making some homemade ricotta last week. I used this kit that my dad gave me a year or two ago. It was super easy (ok, yes I know that ricotta is the easiest cheese you could possibly make, but still...) and I really want to explore more cheese making. I'd really love to take a class here, and find a source for large amounts of not ultra-pasteurized milk! The ricotta was made with really yummy Thistle Hill milk, but it's a bit pricey for the amount of cheese it yields. Also I have to find more uses for all the leftover whey. I made buttermilk waffles, which were good, but how many waffles can a person eat? I know that may be a silly question for some, but really, it's a lot of whey!



I forgot to get a picture of the final product, too busy nibbling, but it ended up in these delicious calzones.  We had been making all sorts of calzones with the light whole wheat recipe from Artisan Bread in 5, but have had to take a bit of a break as our stupid oven has revolted and the needed parts must be special ordered. So far we've been too hungry to have any leftovers, but I'm really into the idea of freezing and then having them for lunches, or crazy day dinners.


1 comment:

Susan said...

Jules,

It's Sarah's mom from Saipua. I posted the recipe for the hot cross buns on my blog if you're interested.

frenchpickles.blogspot.com

Enjoy!

Susan