7.17.2009

projects (for me!)



Since Renegade, I've been itching to do some sewing for myself. That is one thing about having a craft business, I feel guilty (I just wrote 'quilt-y' by mistake, proves my point exactly) about spending time making things that will not generate income, or if I do have extra time, I'm just plain sick of sewing, printing, etc and just need to get out of the house. 

My cousin's wedding a few weeks ago was the perfect opportunity/excuse to make things for myself. I made myself an Alabama Chanin style dress out of some beautiful silk/wool jersey (haven't had a chance to get a good pic, but I'll definitely share them when I do) and this leather clutch. I fell in love with this silvery, soft leather while Jewelweeds shopping at Mood. I certainly had no business pawing through the leather, or the even looking at the silk jerseys, but you know, things happen. I'm usually not one for shiny things, but the silver was so subtle and vintage-y worn. It was really hard to get an accurate picture, it's a little more sandy than it looks in the picture. I kept thinking about the leather, and eventually went back and got it (fyi, the leather is now downstairs at Mood). I cut out the pieces for the purse the night before we left for Boston and sewed it in the car on the way up. Luckily for the clutch (not so much for us) the weather and the traffic was so bad that it took us seven freaking hours to get there. I lined it with some heavier leather that I had to give it more body, the silver leather is quite light and drapey, my sister said that it felt like her puppy's ear which I don't want to think the connection there, but I have a bunch left over and I want to make something that showcases this quality. Maybe something like this

2 comments:

Elana said...

I of course didn't even stop to consider that you made your dress and this clutch. Both are gorgeous, but I'm especially obsessed with this. Lovely!


And... Cape Cod? Write back to my email! :)

meandering pearl said...

Hello! this is absolutely gorgeous! kind wishes